Over the course of the last few weeks, we’ve been blogging about wellbeing and the…
Recently we discussed the benefits of Dance on Children’s Mental Health where we noted one statistic showed that 75% of those with a mental health condition began developing it before the age of 18. Not only does Dance benefit a child’s mental health but is also important for their physical health. There is sufficient evidence that shows children who participate in physical activity spend less time sitting on front of a computer screen. Therefore, this lowers their risk of developing health problems, particularly physical health.
One of the most known benefits of Dance on Physical Health is that it decreases the risk of developing obesity. Statistics from the Health and Social Care Information Centre showed that 1 in 3 children are overweight or obese by the time they leave primary school. Obesity can cause a range of problems, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
Dance classes are a great alternative to team sports, with the same benefits on the physical health of a child. So here are the reasons why doing Dance will benefit your child’s physical health.
- Improves flexibility and coordination. Coordination is essential for life skills, including riding a bike.
- Helps a child’s physical strength. A child’s physical strength is a solid platform for the child’s physical development from child into adult.
- Dance helps a child develop a greater range of movement throughout their body. We have 642 muscles in our body and dancing really helps make use of these muscles in their activity!
- Promotes healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Cholesterol is a type of fat found in your body and if it’s at a good level will reduce your risk for heart disease and strokes.
- Dance and movement patterns also develop kinaesthetic memory (kinaesthetic is a type of learning style that is carried out by physical activity).
- Dance promotes socialising with other young people. It’s vital to a child’s cognitive development.
To coincide with providing Dance in school we’re launching a fantastic opportunity for your School’s Sports Day! We’d love to work with your school in creating a opening ceremony for your Sports Day, what a fantastic way to have fun, learn something new and special at your school!